These giants are part of my frost giant army. They are all converted from the Forge World bull centaur torsos and heads. The only one with a different body is the giant carrying the tree. I used a troll body for him.
They are mostly flesh and armour. I have used a tanned flesh for the skin, (I wondered if i should have cooled it down as they are frost giants, but at the time I was inspired by the giants from Conan graphic novels so they ended up like this!). The flesh starts off as a dark brown, then whilst it’s still wet I sort of blend in some lighter colours. I usually add grey to my mix as it mutes the overall colour, then it is a case of highlights and washes until I am happy with the result.
The metal is my tried and trusted formula: Boltgun metal, a mix of armour wash and a brown ink. Sometimes I add a blue wash in places to give a sort of reflective effect. Boltgun/Mithril highlights. I love using snow on the bases, it really lifts my models which are dark and shows them up better. I use a mix of snow powder with liquid resin.
Just an update on my Armies of Asgard project: I have armies for Odin, Loki, Hela, Frost Giants and Trolls, all of which I keep adding too when ideas present themselves. I have really enjoyed swapping between the armies as it keeps everything fresh and exciting.
I always loved the Mourngul model, but I wished it wasn’t just a floating torso, so decided to make it some legs. The idea was that it was a spirit type creature that the frost giants summoned in times of dire needs: maybe a hero who was killed in battle and swore to fight alongside his kin when needed. Once a noble mighty warrior, now some terrible savage killing machine, torn and twisted from a life in hell. Formed from ice and snow to hold the soul in place.
The legs were made from sprues cut up and glued together to make the basic position and length. I seal the joins and reinforce them with superglue and sand! Keep adding sand and it makes a concrete like bond when dry! The sprues were then thickened out with blu-tac and coated in superglue. Finally a layer of green-stuff was added for the detailing. Feet from the giant sprue were added, not exactly what i had in mind, but i couldn’t find anything else!
I wanted the paint job to reflect a lost tormented soul wandering out in the frosty cold wilderness, caught between hell and earths most terrible lands. Also as I mentioned I had wondered if I should have gone for a colder flesh palette on my giants, so this was a good opportunity to try it on this model. Big thanks to Jake for suggesting using crackle paint/varnish for the skin. I wanted him to look like he was formed from ice – I am really pleased with the effect and will use it again.